Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Bathroom Just Keeps Getting Cheaper!!

I can't believe how much money I'm saving in the bathroom. I'm going to have to work out exactly how much I am actually saving on a fortnightly basis and start actively SAVING that money by putting it into my land account.
Since I moved here to Arno Bay I have:
* used a crystal deodorant for an initial outlay of $7 and it looks hardly gone at all.......will last years I reckon
* been using cornflour as talcum powder for an initial outlay of $6 for 5kg and $2.50 for shaker..................again, will last years & years, don't reckon I will EVER have to buy it again
* using microfibre cloth as cleanser and exfoliater for an initial outlay of $1.50 for 2...........I bought spares but keep giving them away LOL
* using witchazel as a toner for an initial outlay of $4 for 250ml.........I put it into an old Dermalogica atomiser and it just keeps going on & on & on
* ditched all my exxy moisturisers and now use Cetaphyl exclusively for an initial outlay of $20 for 500 ml.........bottle is only about 2 cm down, I reckon it'll be good for at least a year
* Emjoi for hair removal for an initial outlay of $120............a smooth finish identical to waxing from the beautician (not that there are any around here anyway so also factor in the fuel to get to town for the waxing!!)
* cutting and colouring my own hair for a cost of about $30 every 2 months

This weekend I have made shower gel. I found a cake of Body Shop pink grapefruit soap. So I grated it in the food processor, then added it to just a bit less than 1 litre of water and 2 tablespoons of glycerine and melted it altogether over low heat. I also added some sorbolene cream and a tiny drop of red food colour. Then I put it into my 1 litre pumppack and VOILA!! Shower Gel!!
I looked it all up on line and the cake of soap costs $4.95 from the body shop and for 250mls of pink grapefruit showergel they want $12.95 I made 1 litre for a hair over $5
WOOHOO
I also made a body scrub. 1 cup of olive oil, 1 cup of cooking salt, 1/2 cup of lemon juice and some food colouring. Just step out from under the direct flow of the water and appy, then rinse off. Luscious! Am going to add some essential oil when I get some nice ones.
AND I made some vanilla oil .......... just added some vanilla pods to baby oil.... flick as much water off your body as possible then apply a small amount, then blot yourself dry with a towel. Skin feels so soft
A-A-AND I also added some vanilla pods to a bottle of sorbolene cream and the smell is absolutely divine.
So these are all tried and tested money savers that really do work. You can all go ahead and try any of these tips with absolute confidence. Enjoy the extra cash you will have in your pocket!
Next time I'll tell you all about my laundry
Cheers

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great ideas - thanks for sharing.

stakky32 said...

Oooh, sounds sooooo good Faye...I love vanilla :)

Millie said...

Faye, I reckon you'll be smellin' mighty sweet by now....hehe.